Friday 21 August 2009

Tomato Chutneying


This is posted on request from Val up in the Charente. In compliance with Foody-ing, whereby all recipes have to be simple, this is simplicity itself, and helped rearrange my thinking about chutneys after a lifetime of avoiding them, in particular the home made variety which always looked like brown sludge to me and mostly tasted the same.

This is 'borrowed' from 'Jams, Preserves and Chutneys' by Marguerite Patten, ISBN number 1-902304-72-1.

1) 2lb (900g) Tomatoes, redly ripe: First task is to peel them: Put them in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Leave for ten minutes or so. Pick one up. With a sharpish knife make a couple of vertical slices skin-deep from top to bottom. The skin can then be peeled off quite easily. Remove the inner core if it looks hard and unfriendly, and anything else about the tomato which doesn't look quite right to you.

All of this task I did over the saucepan I was going to cook the chutney in. Not having a preserving pan at this time, I use a large stainless steel saucepan which does the job very well. By prepping the tomatoes over the saucepan rather than over a cutting board or somesuch very drop of juice falls into the pan, hence no waste!

Chomp the toms into smaller pieces, again in your hands. It goes without saying that you should be careful not to cut yourself with the knife if you are using one! I just plunged my hands into the tomatoes and massaged them into pieces which I found to be quite a pleasant experience!

2) 1lb (450g)Apples- this is weight after preparation: The recipe says cooking apples, but I can't get them here in France, so I used Granny Smiths, which stayed firm during cooking.

Peel and core the apples, then cube them. The recipe also says you can grate them, but I haven't tried doing that yet. I suppose that by grating them the chutney would turn out to be finer in texture. But I avoid my grater if at all possible because of my tendency to grate my fingernails off as well!



3) 1lb (450g) Onions: Peeled and sliced. Here the recipe mentions that the onions should be 'finely sliced' but that requires more effort on my part so I get them down to quite a fine dice, then stop.

4) 3/4 pint (450ml) malt or wine vinegar: We can't get malt vinegar here, so red wine vinegar had to suffice.

5) All the above now into your pot. Onto the heat. Get the mix heated up, then simmer until the ingredients are cooked to your liking. I never over cook things, well not intentionally that is (and this only when I get diverted by other activities which come along to distract me) so I cooked the mix for about ten minutes.

To stop it from reducing, I covered the pot with a saucepan lid. I don't know if you should or shouldn't do that, but with my tendency to wander off to do other things, having a lid on helps stop whatever is in the saucepan from boiling dry. This works most times.

6) Now add:
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of mixed spice. Didn't have this, so used Allspice instead.
12 oz (350g) sugar. Any sort I think will do. Might try brown next time.
10oz (300g) sultanas (seedless light raisins).
Salt and pepper to taste.

7) Stirring everything in the pot, making sure the sugar dissoves, bring to the boil. Then simmer 'to the consistency of a thick jam'. A bit daunting this on the first chutney run, as I am used to trying to get things to reach setting point. You don't do this with chutney apparently, so I just kept stirring occassionally until the mix dragged the long handled spoon I was stirring it with. It didn't take long, about five minutes or so. I would think you could get any consistency you like depending on how long you are going to keep it cooking for: the longer you cook the drier will be the chutney.



8) Meanwhile, you can get your jam jars ready. There are various ways of prepping jars, but since I am living in a caravan at the moment and facilities are to more than somewhat basic, all I do is put the jars into a large bowl, pour boiling water into them, then into the bowl. When I need to start filling the jars, I take one out, wipe it dry inside and out, carefully because the glass is hot, then I fill it. Perhaps when I actually do have a proper kitchen I might prep the jars better, but this has to do at the moment.

9) 'Spoon into jars and seal down': I used a jug to pour the mix into the jars, then sealed the tops of the jars with jam jar covers, putting the lid of the jar on top of that. Presumable if you don't have a lid the jam jar cover will do. Also, I remember reading somewhere that you can't use metal lids because the vinegar in the recipe will rust the lid.

10) All done! Now all you have to do is clear up the mess, and leave your newly made chutney alone for a month. This I found hard to do, so I spooned my way through one pot, donated one pot to a dear lady who gave me a dead chicken to cook, then put the others away so I couldn't see them. This chutney is more-ish. I hope you find it the same.


And donating you a pot: The large pieces are the sultanas, and the colour is golden brown, not sludgy!



I read somewhere else that if you are going to give samples of your chutney, jams, etc, away to friends, then to make sure that you actually do keep some of what you have produced for yourself it is a good idea to fill small pots for your friends, and large pots for you. This I did. They are glass yoghurt pots, and work wonderfully well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for stopping by, and I would love you leave me a message.